Saturday, March 22, 2014

A different kind of Saturday!

Last Saturday we were invited by friends and neighbours Tiffany and Frank to go to the Affair for the Arts at Keyano College. We had gone with them last year and had fun, and this year Tim(hubby) was looking forward to seeing William Shatner in person. Turned out that our best friends, John and Kerin went too, so it was a great night. These are two couples that we don't get to go out with too often, and we had never gone to a gala event with John and Kerin before.

But first I had to go through all the trials and tribulations of going out for such an event. I joke with my girlfriends that such an event means I will have to shave my legs, but it's not really that much of a joke. Last year I had gone to Yvonne Lauren, and Amanda, the owner had helped me get dressed. I felt so comfortable there, that I knew that I would be going to see them to get some help again. And besides that, I love their clothes.
The store is located in Timberlea, and ironically I found out last year at the end of my visit that Amanda is from Cape Breton just like me! This year Amanda was away on a buying trip, but her staff took just as good care of me this year. I left feeling that I was going to be comfortable and looking good thanks to them again. They had so many cute things already in for the spring and summer too, so I know that I will be back there soon.

Next up was something I had never done before, I booked and went and got my make-up done. A few months ago I was looking for a change with my hair, and had asked at a girls get together one night who would be good in town to try to tackle my thick hair. A few people suggested one girl downtown at Sweet Escapes, so I booked the appointment. Imagine my surprise when I arrived and it was Vanessa MacDonald(Beks), a young girl from my small hometown of Mabou, a girl who had graduated with my sister. I had gone to get my hair done last week, and she said that the girl that did the make-up applications was very good at her job, and that I would feel comfortable with her.

Alicia looked familiar right away, and of course my first question was, "Where are you from?" She answered Nova Scotia, so I knew she would not say anywhere in Cape Breton. Capers always say Cape Breton, not Nova Scotia. But she went on to add that she did have relatives in Port Hood. I knew it, I asked her if she was related to Lauren MacDonald, she said she didn't know, her great grandparents were Angus and Jean. That would make her and Lauren cousins, lol...and my uncle Dennis is married to Darlene, a daughter of Angus and Jean, how is that for a small world?
I will have to tag Lauren, so she can go meet her cousin...because it is scary how much they look alike.

It was finally time to get dressed, and head out for a night on the town with Tim. Here's the finished product:
And then here is Tim not being a goof, and me not telling him to smarten up for one picture:
We had a great night, and I even got to meet Shatner for a picture, but I don't have the one with him yet, here is one that I snuck(we weren't suppose to take pics, but I didn't know that until after I took it).
I am not a gala kind of girl. And what I mean by that is that I tend to like relaxed suppers at our kitchen table with friends and some good wine over a night out any time. But it was fun to go out with friends(although honestly, we did end up finding a table and sitting there for the greater part of the evening after the presentation by Shatner). We got so carried away with our talking, that we were kind of surprised when the cleaning staff were picking up around us. By the time we made our way to the doors, this was how we left the place:
Nothing like being the last ones out the door! This is the foyer of the Keyano Theatre in town for those who haven't been able to see it for yourself. We found ourselves again there on Monday night for St. Patrick's Day, with a different crowd again, and I will tell you all about it tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment