Sunday, March 30, 2014

Housewives of Fort McMurray, unite!

Two weeks ago I wrote a column about the Real Housewives of Fort McMurray, and I am still getting emails about it. Here is the link to the article if you didn't get a chance to see it:
http://www.fortmcmurraytoday.com/2014/03/20/murphys-current-the-real-housewives-of-mcmurray.

Years ago when I still lived in Cape Breton I had a group of friends who would gather for brunch on Friday mornings, sometimes we had a few kids with us, sometimes it was just great girl time. But it was a set time, and some weeks not everyone could be there, and some weeks, we had new faces at the table. But everyone was always welcome, and it was always a great way for us to start the weekend with the kids home, and it was just a relaxed group of women bonding. There was no gossip at the table, and to this day, I still miss that group of women.

Over the last two weeks, after reading all the emails I have been getting, and talking to some of my friends, I realized that many women in town feel that they are missing some connection. They are always putting the kids social lives ahead of their own. And if their husbands want to do something, they do it, while the women feel that they have to move mountains to have a night free to themselves.

So I decided to try to do something about it. I thought, what about starting a Facebook group, called Fort McMurray Housewives? And every month we will have one set event that everyone can come to, which we will try to make it appealing to women of every race, religion or political stripe. And during the weeks, it will be a place for us to rant(not gossip or post negative or racist comments), and post about things we would like to do, and maybe have someone join us.

Post if you want to go for a walk, where you are starting and how long you want to go for. What about a glass of wine some night to just connect with like minded women? Are you free for lunch tomorrow and want to try a new restaurant out? I have been meeting so many wonderful people in town, and I think this will be a fun way for all of us to connect, have fun, and MAKE each other have some fun, but even more importantly, take TIME for ourselves.

And I will start! This Saturday coming, April 5th, I am inviting anyone who might be new to town, or who has been saying to me that we should get together for months to come to my house. If you want a drink, bring your favourite, if not, just bring yourself! I will provide munchies, and we can talk about what we will do next month! Once you join the page, and let me know if you want to come, I will send you the details. Maybe a movie,or a supper out at a restaurant? Let's make it fun! I am challenging all my friends who have been saying we should get together to join and make this a priority, and I hope that women from around the city will join us!

I will post events that might be of interest to women on the Real Housewives of Fort McMurray Facebook Page, so please like and share the page! Here is the link:
https://www.facebook.com/RealWomenofFortMcMurray

No comments:

Post a Comment